The Introduction of Beijing Medical Science and Technology Development Association，BMSTDA
Beijing Medical Science and Technology Development Association, BMSTDA was established on December 31, 1994. The founder is Professor Baoen Wang who is a well-known hepatologist and a leading researcher in liver fibrosis. He is also the founder and the first president of the Chinese Society of Hepatology, Chinese Medical Association, and Honorary President of Beijing Friendship Hospital, Capital Medical University. The Association has contributed a lot of fruitful works in supporting medical scientific research and academic exchanges, encouraging doctors to improve their professional competence, organizing continuing education and specialized training in various disciplines, carrying out public health activities and popularization of science, establishing special funding in cooperation with relevant enterprises, and supporting and participating the research and development of Traditional Chinese Medicine over the past 20 years. The Association has made great contributions on promoting the development of medical and public health in China.
The main work of the association is to make full use of the NGO resources and advantages and actively cooperation with medical experts, scholars and other social forces from the domestic and oversea. The association is actively carry out the knowledge publicity, scientific research, clinical diagnosis and treatment, disease prevention, academic exchanges and continuing education. The association also conducts patient care and assistance and the promotion of new technologies and therapies for liver diseases. Meanwhile BMSTDA has built platform for the academic researches for relevant enterprises and continuing education on prevention and treatment of liver disease and further to provide technical basis and scientific evidences to health authority for the policies formulation.
Professor Zhongping Duan is the Second Legal Person of BMSTDA. He is a well known hepatologist and chairman of the CSH, CMA. Professor Yu Chen is the current Legal Person of the Association who is the director of the Center for Difficult Liver Diseases and Artificial Liver of Beijing Youan Hospital affiliated to Capital Medical University.
The Charter of Beijing Medical Science and Technology Development Association
Chapter I General Provisions
Article 1 The Organization was named Beijing Medical Science and Technology Development Association，BMSTDA).
Article 2 This Association is a non-profit social organization that is approved and registered by the Beijing Municipal Registration Administration of Social Groups, which is sponsored by famous medical scientists and entrepreneurs of medical science and technology.
Article 3 The purpose of the Association is to liaise and coordinate for agencies and individuals who do the research, production and use in medicine and promoting the transformation of medical research achievements to productivity through exchange and cooperation. To promote the development of medical science and technology that for improving the health level of the Beijing City and to help the economic construction for the capital. The Association abides by the constitution, laws, regulations and national policies, and social morality.
Article 4 The Association shall accept the business guidance and supervision by Beijing Municipal Health Bureau and the Registration Administration of Social Organizations of Beijing Municipal Bureau of Civil Affairs.
Article 5 The address of the Association's office: No. 117, Building 3, Xitou Street, Fengtai District, Beijing.
Chapter II Sphere of Business
Article 6 Sphere of Business of the Association
(1) Organizing and guiding medical science and technology experts to actively engage in research actively with application value of production for medicine. And help them to recommend their achievements in medical research to the medicine producers in time and help them develop and produce.
(2) Providing the latest achievements, technologies and products of pharmaceutical science and technology to the medicine producers or individuals by organizing academic conferences, and medical product presentation and consultation meetings.
(3) Organize medical research institutions to meet with manufacturers to discuss new medicine development issues, and support or invest in scientific research institutions by manufacturers.
(4) To organize medical organizations to conduct clinical research on approved drugs for sale or import, and reevaluate the function and side effects of medicines that entrusted by medicine producers or dealers.
(5) To organize the investigation to prove its practical value and provide basis for further development on medicine or diagnostic instruments with greater clinical application value under the guidance of Municipal Science and Technology Administration.
(6) To organize the training and exchange in various forms with medical science and technological experts, especially to those engaged in scientific and technological development.
(7) Actively participate in the promotion of new research achievements and technologies, products in medical science and technology and external exchanges.
(8) To organize regular meetings of medical scientists to discuss new ideas and the future trend in medical scientific and technological development;
(9) To found the agencies such as medical development centers and companies, etc to carry out business activities shall be established in accordance with the law.
Chapter III Membership
Article 7 The Association is composed of individual members and institutional members.
Article 8 Members applying for membership in the association must have the followingrequirements:
(1) Supporting the articles of Association.
((2) Having the will to join the group.
(3)The appliers who must have certain influence in the field of their business (industry, discipline) in the Association.
Article 9 The procedures for membership are as follows:
(1) To submit an application for membership.
(2)Be allowed to be membership by the board of directors from discussion on meeting.
(3)Membership cards are issued by board of directors or authorized agencies by board.
Article 10 Members shall enjoy the following rights in Association:
(1) The right to vote, the right to be voted and voting power in the Association.
(2) The right to participate in the activities of the Association.
(3) Priority in obtaining the services of the Association.
(4) The right to criticize and make suggestions and supervise the work of the Association.
(5) Freedom of admission and withdrawal.
Article 11 Members shall perform the following obligations:
(1) Implementing the resolutions of the Association;
(2) To safeguard the lawful rights and interests and reputation of the Association.
(3) Try to complete the work assigned by the Association.
(4) Paying dues in accordance with regulations.
(5) To report the issues to the Association and provide the relevant information.
Article 12 Members who withdraw from membership shall notify the Association in writing and return their membership cards. Members who do not pay membership fees or participate in the activities of the Association for over one year are deemed to withdraw automatically.
Article 13 If members who committed serious violations of these Articles of the Association shall be removed by vote of the Council or the Standing Council.
Chapter IV Association’s Framework
Article 14 The supreme authority of the Association is the General Meeting of Members, whose main duties are:
(1) Formulating and amending articles of Association.
(2) Election and removal of directors and supervisors.
(3) Consideration of the work reports and financial reports of the board of directors and the board of supervisors.
(4) Deciding on major changes and terminations.
(5) To formulate and revise the standard of the membership fee.
(6) Decision on other major matters for the Association.
Article 15 Membership meetings shall be held at least once in a year. Membership meetings can only be held if more than two-thirds of the members' representatives are present. Resolutions must be voted by more than two-thirds of the members present before they can come into force.
Article 16 Membership meetings are held in every four years. The preparatory materials for the meeting of change the term of office shall be sent to the chief of operations and registration administration authority of social groups for examination when 30 days before the convening of the new membership meeting. The new membership meeting can be held only after it has been confirmed that it meets the requirements for a new term. If it is necessary to change its term ahead of schedule or postpone it due to exceptional cases, it shall be voted by the Council and submitted to chief of operations for examination and approval by the registration administration authority of the Association. However, the maximum extension of the meeting of change the term is not more than one year.
Article 17 The board of directors shall implement the resolutions of the general meeting and lead the association to carry out its daily work and be responsible for the general meeting during the intersectional period of the general meeting.
Article 18 The Duties of the Board of Directors:
(1) Implementing the resolutions of the general meeting.
(2)Election and removal of the director-general (president), vice-president and secretary-general.
(3) Preparing for the convening of a General Meeting.
(4) Report to the General Meeting on its work and financial situation.
(5) Deciding on the registration or removal of members.
(6) Deciding on the establishment of offices, branches, representative agencies and entity organizations.
(7) To decide on the appointment of the deputy secretary-general and the other principal heads of main agencies inside the Association.
(8) Leading the work of main agencies of the Association.
(9) Formulating the internal management system.
(10) To accept the opinions of the board of supervisors on the handling of disciplinary violations of the Association and to propose solutions with its supervision.
(11) Decide on other important items.
Article 19 The meeting of board of directors shall have more than two-thirds of its members present before it can be convened and its resolutions shall be voted on by more than two-thirds of its members before they come into force.
Article 20 The meeting of board of directors shall be convened at least once in a year.
Article 21 The Association has been established a Standing Council that consisting of 10 managing directors. The managing directors are elected from the board of directors. The managing directors can exercise and be responsible to the board of directors the following functions and powers during the intersectional period of the board of directors:
(1) Implementing the resolutions of the general meeting of members.
(2) Preparing for the convening of a general meeting of members.
(3) Deciding on the registration or removal of members.
(4) Deciding on the establishment of offices, branches, representative agencies and other entity organization.
(5) To decide on the appointment of the deputy secretary-general and the other principal heads of main agencies inside the Association.
(6) Leading the work of main agencies of the Association.
(7) Formulating the internal management system.
(8) To accept the opinions of the board of supervisors on the handling of disciplinary violations of the Association and to propose solutions with its supervision.
(9) The term of office of the Standing Council shall be the same as that of the Council. And the Standing Council shall be conversed at the same time with the Council.
Article 22 The meeting of Standing of Council shall have more than two-thirds of its members present before it can be convened and its resolutions shall be voted on by more than two-thirds of its members before they come into force.
Article 23 The meeting of Standing Council shall be convened at least once in half-year.
Article 24 The President (director-general, chairman), Vice-President (vice-chairman) and Secretary-General of the Association must have the following requirements:
(1)Adhering to the Communist Party's political line, principles and policies and having good political quality.
(2)They must have certain influence in the field of their business (industry, discipline) of the Association.
(3)The maximum age of service shall not exceed 70 years, and the Secretary-General shall be full-time.
(4) Being in good health and able to work normally.
(5) Not having been subjected to criminal punishment for deprivation of political rights.
(6) Having full capacity for civil conduct.
Article 25 the President of the Association (Director-General and the Chairman) shall exercise the following functions and powers:
(1) Convening and presiding over the meeting of board of directors (or standing council).
(2) To inspect the implementation of resolutions of the general meeting for the board of directors (or the standing council).
(3) Signing relevant important documents on behalf of the Association.
Article 26 The secretary general of the Association shall exercise the following functions and powers:
(1) To preside over the daily work of the office and organize the implementation of the annual work plan.
(2) Coordinating the work of all branches, representative agencies and entity organizations.
(3) To nominate the Deputy-Secretary-General and the principal heads of offices, branches, representatives and entities for decision by the council or the standing council.
(4) Decide on the employment of full-time staffs in administrative, representative and substantive institutions.
(5) Handling other daily affairs of association.
Article 27 The Standing Vice-President (Standing Vice-Chairman) shall exercise the following functions and powers:
(1) Assisting to the President (Chairman) in his work.
Article 28 the legal representative of the association shall be the President (Chairman). The term of the President (Chairman) of Association shall not exceed two terms. The legal representative of this Association may not act and take the position as the legal representative of other social organizations at the same time.
Article 29 The Association has been set up a board of supervisors that consisting of three members. They are elected by the General Meeting and responsible to it. Its main responsibilities are:
(1) Election of the supervisor-general.
(2) Attending the Council (or the Standing Council).
(3) To supervise the activities of the Association and its leading members in accordance with the Regulations on the Registration and Administration of Social Groups and relevant laws and regulations.
(4) To urge the Association and its leading members to carry out activities in accordance with the approved articles of Association, business scope and internal management system.
(5) To supervise the acts of members of the Association who violate its discipline and damage its reputation.
(6) To supervise the financial situation of the organization.
(7) To put forward opinions on the handling of the illegal and disciplinary acts of the organization then submit them to the Council (or the Standing Council) and supervise their implementation.
Chapter V Asset Management
Article 30 The sources of funds of the Association are as follows:
(1) Membership fees
(3) Government funding
(4) Income from activities or services carried out within the approved business scope
(5) Interest of savings
(6) Other lawful earned income
Article 31 The Association shall collect membership fees in accordance with the membership fee standards that formulated or revised by the general meeting. No membership fees will be charged at the present stage.
Article 32 The funds of the Association must be used for the scope of business and the development of its undertakings as stipulated in the present articles of Association and the funds shall not be allocated among its members.
Article 33 The Association shall make a strict financial management system to ensure the legality, authenticity, accuracy and integrity of accounting data.
Article 34 The Association shall be staffed with accountants who must have professional qualifications. Accountants may not hold a concurrent post as cashiers in the association. Accountants must conduct accounting and carry out accounting supervision. Any accountant must clear the handover procedures with the takeover accountant when any accountant transfers or leaves the post.
Article 35 The assets management of this Association shall implement the financial management system prescribed by the State and shall be subject to the supervision by the Council and relevant departments. It must be subject to the supervision of audit institutions and the relevant information shall be published to public in an appropriate way when the source of assets from government’s grant or social donations or subsidies.
Article 36 The Association must have the financial audits that be authorized by the Registration Administration of Social Organizations and chief in operations before changing its term or legal representatives.
Article 37 No group or individual is allowed to embezzle, privately distribute or misappropriate the assets of the Association.
Article 38 The wages, insurance and other welfare benefits of the full-time staffs of the Association shall be implemented with reference to the relevant provisions of the State on Public Institutions.
Chapter VI Termination Procedure
Article 39 The Association has fulfilled its purpose to dissolve itself or needs to be cancelled for reasons of separation or merger or a motion for termination shall be put forward by the Council or the Standing Council.
Article 40 The motion for termination of the association shall be voted on by the General Meeting of the members and submitted to the chief of operations for examination and approval.
Article 41 The team of liquidation shall be established under the guidance by the chief operations and relevant organizations to clear up the creditor's rights and debts and deal with aftermath matters before the termination of the Association. The other activities of the Association shall not be carried out during the period of liquidation.
Article 42 The Association shall be terminated after the cancellation of registration approved by the Registration Administration of Social Organizations.
Article 43 The remaining property of the Association after the termination shall be used for the development of the undertakings related to the purposes of the Association under the supervision of the chief operations and the Registration Administration of Social Organizations in accordance with the relevant provisions of the State.
Chapter VII Supplementary Provisions
Article 44 These Articles of Association were adopted by the vote of the 3rd General Meeting of the Members on May 18, 2014.
Article 45 The right of interpretation of these Articles of Association that belongs to the Board of Directors of the Association.
Article 46 These Articles of Association shall come into force on the date of approval by the Registration Administration of Social Organizations.
18 May 2014